Saturday, April 21, 2012

A busy schedule

As April is nearing the end, I'm starting to look forward into May, and things are looking astoundingly mediocre.  


In terms of work, my failing experiment as a professor will be over on May 3rd, not including the time it will take me to grade final papers and respond to students complaining about their grades.  Sadly this will not increase my free time, because the pregnant girl at work is quitting at the end of April, and our already short staff will have to pick up the slack.  This means instead of covering two extra shifts a week the three part time employees will have to cover extra shifts five days a week.  Also, another full time employee has apparently decided that she can take time off anytime she wants.  Instead of not letting her take the time off, our fearsomely bad manager simply makes us cover her shifts too.


On the other hand, I have taken almost every weekend off in May.  One of my best friends is coming to visit, and I thought she would rather not sit alone from 1-11:30pm two of the three days she is in town.  My second weekend off I am hosting a bridal shower and bachelorette for a soon-to-be married friend.  While I should be overjoyed to share in her bridal bliss, I am also nervous about hosting the forty-five people on her guest list.  Does it make me a bad maid of honor to hope that most of them send regrets?


Memorial Day weekend, I have been commanded to attend my family's reunion, held in the middle of nowhere five hours away from where I live.  While some people might say I was invited, my mother's "you WILL be there because you're moving away and never coming back" didn't really seem to be a polite invitational tone.


Basically the gist is that I will be working pretty much every day in May, but most of my shifts are about three hours long, right in the middle of the day.  On the days I actually have good earning potential I am otherwise occupied.  Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment